Tuesday 19 February 2008

All Star Weekend: It's Crap

The All star game is nothing more than a farce to me. Non competitive basketball is the most un entertaining package of rubbish you can watch. The whole weekend to me is a complete joke. I am a huge basketball fan, more so than most, but even I can't put a positive spin on any of the festivities.

The slam dunk competition is fast becoming stupider each year. The final straw was the so called 'Birthday Cake Dunk' give us all a break please. Gerald Green is a first class athlete but that was embarrassing for the league in my opinion.

The mystique has definitely gone from the entire weekend. This is due to the class not being in the game. It's unfortunate that we can't have the Jordan's of this world forever. I'm not just talking about talent or ability. I mean charm and charisma. I cannot pick one personality that played in this years game. All the players are fantastically talented but if they are not playing for real, what is left? Nowitzki and Duncan could have easily been substituted for flag poles with their levels of enthusiasm.

A solution you ask. A common one put forward by many sources. Make the prize money higher! Woah 35k for 2 hours work is not acceptable anymore? Are these guys so arrogant they won't compete unless a million is on offer. You must be joking. The whole weekend should be scraped. It's a blatant money making exercise that doesn't nothing but hurt the game itself. David Stern needs to take a hard look at this format and either change it or get rid of the whole concept. I'm in favour of the latter.

 
NBA Week
Blog Information Profile for bbhs
Custom Search